The oceanfront site, which now occupies the Lodge & Club has seen much transition in the past six decades. Here's a brief glimpse of the changes that have shaped this award-winning club:
1940 - Tommy Sabin, a New York banker (and frequent Ponte Vedra Inn & Club guest) purchased 600 feet of oceanfront property from the Inn's parent company, the Ponte Vedra Corporation. This prime property was located 1 1/2 miles south of the Inn & Club. Sabin built (32) guest rooms and called his new oceanfront hotel - The Innlet. The hotel was operated entirely independent of The Inn. Features included a low room rate, small but attractive guest rooms, a good dining room and bar, and overall, a very pleasing environment. The Innlet was only a seasonal hotel, closing each year from Labor Day to mid February.
1944 - The Innlet is sold to the Ponte Vedra Inn & Club and was operated under Inn management as an extension of The Inn. The Innlet, with its popular bar and restaurant, The Oasis, was the informal arm of The Inn. No ties and jackets were required, as they were at the more formal and elegant dining room of The Inn. The Innlet became the gathering place of the younger crowd offering a pleasant, more casual change of atmosphere. Inn guests and Innlet guests could enjoy complete use of the facilities of both establishments.
1947 - (30) apartments were added to The Innlet bringing the total number of guest accommodations to (62).
1948-69 - Although ownership of The Innlet changes a couple of times during this twenty year period, it continues to be managed by the Ponte Vedra Inn & Club with guests enjoying full use of the amenities of both hotels.
1969 - The Innlet is sold to the Land Corporation of America. All hotel operations cease.
1974 - All buildings are removed from the site.
1974-87 - The beachfront site remains vacant and in its natural, pristine state.
1987 - The oceanfront site, (10) acres in all, is purchased by the Fletcher Land Development Corporation of Ponte Vedra Beach. Planning begins for the development of a new, resort hotel.
1989 - The Lodge & Bath Club, a luxury, two-story, (66) room oceanfront resort hotel opens. Featured are a complete spectrum of recreational and social resort amenities.
1997 - The Ponte Vedra Corporation purchases The Lodge & Bath Club and changes its name to The Lodge & Club. As in decades earlier, hotel operations at the site are managed by the Ponte Vedra Inn & Club.
2000-10 - The Lodge & Club enters into an aggressive phase of renovations and property enhancements to further add to the resort’s overall appeal. Included are:
All 66 rooms and suites are renovated and upgraded resulting in recognition by the Florida Builder’s Association with their Award for Design Excellence.
An expansion and beautification of dining/banquet/meeting rooms.
A children’s playground is added to the delight of the young ones
The Gym is expanded and upgraded with state-of-the-art fitness equipment.
All guest rooms are equipped with wireless internet access.
The Lobby receives complete design makeover complete with the addition of a Gift Shop.
All dining spaces, both indoor and outdoor, receive a fresh and modern update.
An oceanfront lawn and fire pit is added to the list of event venues.
The state of Florida recognizes The Lodge & Club with the prestigious Palm Award for voluntarily adopting a variety of “green” practices that reduce waste and conserve natural resources.
2011 - A new and dramatic portico entrance is constructed to greet arriving guests. Accents such as glass mosaic tiles, driveway pavers, aesthetic lighting, plantation shutters and ornamental landscaping combine to create a modern and sophisticated entrance.
2012-13 - A remodeling and enhancement of The Lodge’s oceanfront pool, Jacuzzi, beachfront cafe and signature trellis was started and completed. More than 10,000 square feet of new and decorative brick pavers were added throughout this popular recreation, dining and lounging area. Conversation groupings were added as were new deck chairs, lounges and umbrellas.